English Degree Program
Are you passionate about literature? Do you believe in the importance of the written word and its impacts on society? If your interests pull you into areas such as these, you are a great fit for the English major at CMU. You will develop a flexible skill set that emphasizes critical thinking, communication, and the English language – receiving the educational foundation employers seek.
About Our English Program
The English major educates students in writing, language, literature, and influential dialogue of both the past and present. You will gain skills not only in these areas, but in information fluency, interaction, and verbal and written expression. As you closely examine literary movements, trends and ideas, you will become prepared for a variety of career paths.
As a CMU English major, you will have opportunities to:
- build in-demand skills while taking classes such as Language and Linguistics, Topics in Writing, Major Authors in Literature, Shakespeare, Comics and Graphic Novels, Young Adult Literature, and Advanced Literary Studies
- participate in hands-on learning through projects, presentations, on and off-campus experiences, and internships
- obtain the educational background desired by employers in a variety of fields pertaining to literature, education, publishing, journalism, and more
- receive the preparation needed to earn an advanced degree
- Associate of Arts in English - Fayette Campus, Online
- Bachelor of Arts in English - Fayette Campus, Online
Other CMU English Programs:
Admission Requirements for English Majors
Admission to CMU is selective. Our admission staff carefully reviews and evaluates each application on an individual basis. Please review all requirements prior to applying for admission.