Music Degree Program
If you have a passion for music, and want to pursue a career that spotlights your talents and personal interests, the Music major at CMU is a huge step in the right direction. Through this program, you will not only gain experience and knowledge in the many different genres of music, but build performance skills and confidence that make you shine.
Music Degree Program Offerings
This program is offered at the following locations:
About This Program
The Music major is offered to our students through the Swinney Conservatory of Music. This major often serves as a great choice if you wish to add a minor to your educational experience. Our classes instill a well-rounded knowledge of music, and create the foundation needed to pursue a musical career.
As a CMU Music major, you will have opportunities to:
- take classes such as Music History, Instrumentation, Guitar Techniques, Basic Conducting, Composition, The Theory and Practice of Music, and Major Ensemble
- improve leadership abilities both as an individual and as part of a group while developing advanced • memory, concentration, and performance skills
- interact with a variety of audiences, evaluate and critique talents, and form new musical ideas
- receive the preparation needed to earn an advanced degree
Other CMU Music Programs:
- Music Education - Vocal or Instrumental Certification
- Music Ministry
- Music Performance - Vocal or Keyboard
- Master of Music Education
Admission to CMU is selective. Our admission staff carefully reviews and evaluates each application on an individual basis. Please review all requirements prior to applying for admission.
Students will interview and audition with a Swinney Conservatory faculty member, usually during a campus visit. Materials may include All-District or All-State audition music, solos or etudes. Students may also be asked to sight-read or perform scales.