Biology Degree Program
Biology is the study of life. From biospheres, ecosystems, and biological communities to organisms, cells, and DNA, biology offers students the opportunity to delve broadly and deeply into the science of living systems. CMU Biology majors receive excellent preparation for a wide variety of careers, combining classroom-based concepts with hands-on laboratory experiences, along with strong analysis, reasoning, and communication skills.
About Our Biology Degree Programs
This major prepares students for a variety of careers in biology. Students may go on to graduate school in the biological sciences. This major also prepares students to enter any of the professional fields related to health, teaching, research, outreach, and other areas in academic, industry or a government agency. Opportunities include environmental studies, genetics, physiology, botany, zoology, microbiology, cellular biology, developmental biology, molecular biology, biochemistry, ecology and conservation biology, to name a few graduate study specialties. Students have the option of graduating with a Bachelor of Science Degree or with a Bachelor of Arts Degree.
As a CMU Biology major, you will have opportunities to:
- interact with science faculty who are experts in their fields, as they serve as mentors to help guide your academic and professional success
- develop skills as you receive hands-on experience both in laboratories and in the field
- complete either a capstone internship or a research project
- receive the preparation needed to further your education in graduate school
- Bachelor of Arts in Biology - Fayette Campus, Statewide
- Bachelor of Science in Biology - Fayette Campus, Statewide
Other CMU Biology-Related Programs:
- Environmental Science
- Marine Biology
- Middle School Education - Science Certification
- Secondary Education - Biology Certification
Tracks available in Biology
- Pre-Health Sciences (Pre-med, veterinary, pharmacy, PT, OT, etc)
- Molecular Biology
- Wildlife Ecology and Conservation
Admission to CMU is selective. Our admission staff carefully reviews and evaluates each application on an individual basis. Please review all requirements prior to applying for admission.