CENTRAL MUSEUM OF HISTORY
The Central Museum of History opened its doors on Homecoming Weekend, 2018. With a new mission focused specifically on preserving and interpreting the history of Central Methodist University, the City of Fayette and Missouri Methodism.
Many may remember the name Stephens Museum. The Stephens Museum, which includes Central’s vast natural history collection, is closed and will be moving to the lower level of the Stedman Hall of Science. The reopening of the Stephens Museum is tentatively scheduled for spring 2019.
The Central Museum of History has a large permanent display area with such favorites as the Boone Stones (grave markers of Daniel Boone and his wife, Rebecca), the Jordan Coller Collection of Civil War Artifacts, and the World War II-era gyro compass similar to those used on Navy ships. In addition, there is a large display of marching band instruments and uniforms of the past.
The museum also has a growing collection of Central athletics artifacts, including a 1922 leather football helmet worn by alumnus Joe McClintic, a fabric football jersey from 1943, and a plethora of items from the 100-plus years of Central basketball.
Please check this page for updates and listings of traveling and temporary collections on display.
Civil War Forage Cap
When Jordan Coller was taken prisoner on August 9, 1862 at Cedar Mountain, Virginia, he scratched notes on the top and bottom of his cap visor. The top surface reads: ‘Jordan Coller Co. E 46 Reg Pv Taken prisoner at Cedar Mountain on 9 of Aug" The bottom of the visor reads: “Jordan Coller Co. E 46 Regiment Pv Prisoner on Belle Island Richmond Va.”
Indian Trade Rifle
This .36 caliber rifle was made by Tryon Gun works of Philadelphia in the early to mid-19 century. The markings and carvings on the stock indicate it was possibly owned by an Indian. The stock has had several repairs and was found near Glasgow, Missouri. The rifle was restored in 2018 by Buzz Krewson of Odin Arms in Dittmer, Missouri.