Do you belong in the spotlight? Would you like to take your acting skills to the next level? Embrace your passion for performance, behind-the-scenes production, or directing, and turn it into an exciting career with CMU’s Theatre Arts major. You will receive outstanding hands-on experience while developing the knowledge and skill set needed to take you where you want to go.
About This Program
The Theatre Arts major is delivered through a Bachelor of Arts in Theatre Arts, or a Bachelor of Science in Theatre Arts degree program. Certification to teach speech or drama at the secondary level can be added to these options. If you’re interested in seeking this certification, you should choose an emphasis in Education and Theatre Arts (secondary level) when developing your degree plan. Whichever path you choose, you will receive a solid foundation of experience desired by theatres, agencies, educational institutions, and graduate schools.
As a CMU Theatre major, you will have opportunities to:
- take classes such as Acting, Theatrical Design, Stagecraft, Directing Techniques, Script Analysis, Dramatic Literature and Criticism, and Stage Makeup
- improve acting abilities while developing advanced memory, concentration, and performance skills
- gain experience in the back-of-house workings and in technical areas
- showcase your abilities by developing a portfolio, and by participating in productions and various acting opportunities
- receive the preparation needed to earn an advanced degree
Other CMU Theatre Programs:
- Secondary Education - Speech & Drama Certification
Admission to CMU is selective. Our admission staff carefully reviews and evaluates each application on an individual basis. Please review all requirements prior to applying for admission.
Students will interview and audition with a Theatre Faculty member, usually during a campus visit. Students interested in performing should prepare a one-minute monologue from a contemporary source. Students interested in technical theatre should bring a portfolio of their work for review.