For Your Room
- Cable-ready TV and coaxial cable (one CATV outlet per room)
- Power strip(s) with surge protection
- Touch-tone telephone and RJ-11 phone cable (one phone line per room with two voice mailboxes)
- DVD/Blu-ray player/Game box (optional)
- Eagle username and password, myCMU password and student ID number (memorize this information)
- CMU Student ID (gets you in your Residence Hall doors)
For Your Computer
- Ethernet cable (CAT5/RJ45) (one network port per student)
(wireless is available in the rooms but using an ethernet cable is faster and more reliable)
- All CDs, drivers and software that came with your computer, networked gaming devices and all your peripherals encase you need the Office of Technology Services to repair your computer.
- 8 GB+ USB thumb drive (optional as your Office 365 OneDrive has 1TB of cloud storage)
- Personal Printer (optional, there is a network printer in all residence hall lobbies and throughout campus)
- Printer paper (used for residence hall lobby printers)
Ethernet cables, TV cables, USB printer cables, power supplies, blank cd's, USB drives and more can be purchased at the CMU Eagle Store, located in Inman Student and Community Center.
For Your iPad
- Other Apple iPad (6th generation) accessories that meet your needs and preferences
The CMU Eage Store can help you with these processes.
Not Bringing a Computer?
That's OK. You have an CMU issued iPad or you can use a computer at one of the labs on campus. Machines are loaded with Windows7, Internet Explorer, Firefox, iTunes, Microsoft Office 2016 suite which includes Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Access and more.
What Not to Bring...
Due to security compliance, personal wireless access points, routers, hubs, and switches are not allowed in residence halls. Visit the Unacceptable Use Policy for more information.
Internet access is available from all residence hall rooms, in computer labs across campus and through CMU's wireless network. If you have a laptop and want to take advantage of our wireless internet access be sure your laptop has wireless capabilities.
In order to ensure reliable wireless internet access, all student wireless devices must Register on the CMU Network. All student internet bandwidth is managed to ensure an acceptable quality of service.
If you need your computer repaired while on campus, Technology Services offers support for faculty, staff and students.