For Your Room
- Cable-ready TV and coaxial cable (one CATV outlet per room)
- Power strip(s) with surge protection
- Touch-tone telephone and RJ-11 phone cable (one phone line per room with two voice mailboxes)
- DVD/Blu-ray player/Game box (optional)
- Eagle username and password, myCMU password and student ID number (memorize this information)
- CMU Student ID (gets you in your Residence Hall doors)
For Your Computer
- Ethernet cable (CAT5/RJ45) (one network port per student)
- Network Interface Card (NIC), if not installed
- Wireless Network Interface Card (wireless is available in the rooms but using an ethernet cable is faster and more reliable)
- All CDs, drivers and software that came with your computer, networked gaming devices and all your peripherals encase you need the Office of Technology Services to repair your computer.
- 8 GB+ USB drive (labeled with your name)
- Personal Printer (option, there is a shared printer in all residence hall lobbies)
- Printer paper
Ethernet cables, TV cables, USB printer cables, power supplies, blank cd's and USB drives can be purchased at the CMU Eagle Store, located in Student Union Center.
Not Bringing a Computer?
That's OK. You can use a computer at one of the labs on campus. Machines are loaded with Windows7, Internet Explorer, iTunes, Microsoft Office 2016 suite which includes Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Access and more.
What Not to Bring...
Due to security issues, personal wireless access points, routers, hubs, and switches are not allowed in residence halls. Visit the Unacceptable Use Policy for more information.
Internet access is available from all residence hall rooms, in computer labs across campus and through CMU's wireless network. If you have a laptop and want to take advantage of our wireless internet access be sure your laptop has wireless capabilities.
In order to ensure reliable internet access, all student computers must Register on the CMU Network. All student internet bandwidth is managed to ensure an acceptable quality of service.
Operating System Requirements
Windows: Microsoft Windows 7 or newer
Mac: Mac OSX 10.8 and above
Minimum Hardware Requirements
Computer System: i5 Processor (Windows/Mac)
Memory: 6G Memory or higher, 250GB hard drive or higher
Networking: NIC 100/1000 (Ethernet) or 802.11g/n wireless network card (laptop)
Optical/Data Devices: CD/DVD-RW and/or 8G+ USB Drive
All users must have an Anti-Virus Program
If you need your computer repaired while on campus, Technology Services offers support for faculty, staff and students.