PTA Admission Requirements
Consideration for admission to the program will be based on applicants meeting the program admission requirements. In the event that the number of applicants exceeds the number of positions available in the program, the best qualified applicants will be determined based on an established rubric.
Applications for the Physical Therapist Assistant program will be accepted from January 1-March 15.
All applicants to the PTA program must be fully admitted to Central Methodist University.
- Applicants must meet the admission requirements of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences;
- Applicants submit the application for admission to the PTA program.
- Applicants submit an ACT with cumulative score of 20 or above or ATI TEAS score of 60 or above.
- Applicants must score 20 or above on the ACT English sub score, OR have previously completed ENG110 and ENG111.
- Applicants must score 22 or above on the ACT Math sub score OR have completed the prerequisite courses and be eligible to take MA103.
- Applicants who have earned a bachelor degree are eligible for consideration for acceptance into the program without submitting an entrance exam score.
- Applicants must have earned a high school GPA of 3.0 or higher to be considered for admission
- Applicants with college level or dual credit courses must have earned a 2.75 cumulative GPA for all college level coursework.
- Must earn a grade of C or higher in Human Anatomy if completed.
- Applicants obtain and submit two (2) references. One must be from an employer or educator, the other may include coaches, organization leaders, individuals who can attest to the students' professional and organizational skills. A form is available as part of the application to the PTA Program.
- Applicants must complete a minimum of 24 hours of observation in a physical therapy setting supervised by a licensed PT or PTA. It is recommended that the applicant obtain these hours in a variety of health care settings. Hours completed and signature of supervisor is required. A form is available as part of the application to the PTA Program.
- The top 25 applicants, based on a predetermined scoring system, will be invited for a group interview process.
- Students must provide vaccination records for Rubella, Tetanus, Mumps, Polio, Chicken Pox, and submit proof of or waiver of Hepatitis B vaccination
- Students must provide proof of physical examination to ensure that they are physically capable of performing the required minimum physical standards of the physical therapist assistant student
- Students are required to be CPR certified as a Healthcare provider prior to clinical affiliations
- A criminal background check must be completed-students will be notified via mail or email regarding the process of completing this requirement. Students are responsible for the cost of this process.*
- A drug screen will be completed prior to clinical participation- students will be notified via mail or email correspondence regarding the process of completing this requirement. Students are responsible for the cost of this screen.*
- Students are required to be covered by a personal health insurance
Consideration for admission to the program will be based on applicants meeting the above requirements. In the event that the number of applicants exceeds the number of positions available in the program, the best qualified applicants will be determined based on an established rubric. A wait list will be created for qualified applicants that were initially accepted. Wait listed students will be contacted in order placed on list in the event an accepted student gives up their spot in the cohort.
*An unsatisfactory result on the criminal background check or drug screen may result in an individual's inability to participate in clinical education experiences. Clinical education experiences are required for successful completion of the program.