Admission Requirements - MSCC
Students wishing to be admitted to the Master of Clinical Counseling program must meet the following criteria:
- Baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university
- 18 or more hours of coursework in psychology, counseling, social work or a closely related field
- Undergraduate cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above on a 4.0 scale. Exception: Applicants with undergraduate GPAs lower than 3.0 will be considered for provisional admission based upon consideration of multiple factors (for example: competitiveness of undergraduate institution, GPA in psychology courses and GPA in the last 60 hours of undergraduate study). Students admitted provisionally will be moved to regular status if they achieve a 3.0 GPA in the first 9 hours of study. If they do not, the student will be disenrolled from the program.
- Demonstration of adequate written communication skills
- Demonstration of appropriate interest and aptitude for counseling profession
- Apply online
- Send official transcripts of all previously completed college/university coursework.
- To initiate the next step in the process you must first complete the privacy document and waiver and return them to the Park Hills location by fax, email or in person. You may contact that site’s general number at 573-518-2112 if you have questions. Upon receipt of your waiver you will provide the information to complete the criminal record check at an approximate cost to the applicant of $52.65.
- Submit three, one-page written statements on the following topics.
- Experiences and interests that have brought you to pursue a career in counseling?
- Professional career goals?
- Experiences you have had with diversity and what you learned about yourself.
- Submit two reference letters from individuals knowledgeable about your potential to complete graduate work and to function successfully as a counselor. Letters of recommendation must be sent directly by the authors to email@example.com. Student submitted letters or faxes are not accepted.
Items 2, 4, and 5, above should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to CGES Admissions Office, Central Methodist University, 411 Central Methodist Square, Fayette, MO 65248. Reference letters must be sent to the CGES Admissions office directly from the author, we will not accept them if they are sent or forwarded by the prospective student.
Upon receipt and review of all information and supporting documents, applicants will be notified of their admission status. The University reserves the right to refuse admission to anyone who does not meet standards for admission.