View the Night Skies at CMU’s Historic Morrison Observatory
Guided sessions on Thursdays in September, October and November
Central Missouri residents are invited to view the universe at any of several guided sessions on Thursday evenings at the historic Morrison Observatory operated by Central Methodist University in Fayette.
All sessions are free and open to the general public from 7:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. on the following Thursdays: September 12, 19, 26, and October 3, 10, 17, 24, 31 and November 7.
Central Methodist University Professors Larry Peery and Kendal Clark, along with members of the Central Missouri Astronomical Association and CMU students, will conduct the viewing sessions, provide tours and comment on historical highlights of the facility. Hands-on science activities also will be provided in the Observatory classroom. Visitors will be able to use the telescopes for viewing, weather permitting.
The planets Venus and Saturn will be in western skies through early October. The moon will be visible in the evening sky on September 12 and 19 and October 10 and 17. Visitors will also be able to view selected star clusters, double stars and nebula.
The observatory is located 504 Park Road in northwestern Fayette (65248), across from the Fayette City Park and swimming pool. Exit west on Besgrove Street from the intersection of Highways 5 and 240 and go approximately two blocks to Park Road and turn left; the observatory is on the right a short distance from the turn.
For additional information about the observatory, viewing sessions or directions, contact Dr. Larry Peery, director of the observatory, by (preferably) e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 660-248-6371, or Dr. Kendal Clark, assistant professor of physics, at email@example.com or call 660-248-6383.
The Morrison Observatory, which is celebrating its 138th anniversary this year, features a 12-inch Clark refractor and a 10-inch reflecting telescope. The observatory was originally located in Glasgow and acquired by Central Methodist in 1927 and moved to its current location in 1935.
Posted September 3, 2013