general privacy reminders
Remember these important tips as you work with student information.
- Access student records only for official business.
- Access to student information does not authorize unrestricted use of that information.
- Share information on a need-to-know basis.
- Secure sensitive information in your work area so that visitors cannot see documents or your computer screen.
- Follow guidelines for secure password management.
- Be sensitive to the possibility of others overhearing phone or face-to-face conversations.
- When disposing of print records containing a studentís name, CMU ID, SSN, or grades, shred the records. On the Fayette campus, we have provided large shred bins outside the Academic Deanís office (Brannock) or inside the Office of the Registrar (Brannock). If the records wonít fit inside the bin, do not leave such records outside the bin. Instead, contact the Associate Dean of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, for assistance.