General Academic Regulations

Student Academic Responsibilities

Because education is a uniquely personal experience, it is the individual responsibility of each student (1) to know the degree requirements for his or her own course of study; (2) to know the rules, regulations, and deadlines which govern the academic programs which are published in this catalog; and (3) to develop and follow schedules which comply with these course and program requirements. The University's faculty, advisors, and staff support each student's education in every way they can, but students must assume final responsibility to establish the timeline for advancing and completing their course of study, to register for the appropriate courses, and to complete all degree requirements. Students are also responsible for knowing and adhering to all University policies published in The Student Handbook. Registration in the University confirms students' acceptance of these obligations.

Academic Advising

In addition to maintaining a personal relationship between student and instructor in the classroom and beyond, the Registrar, regional site coordinators, and directors advise students and monitor their programs and progress. Staff and faculty advisors assist students in planning academic work, registration, and management of problems during their college career. They assist students in interpreting degree requirements and in determining which requirements have or have not been met. The University also keeps students informed of their academic progress through an academic monitoring system. The Registrar's Office sends students and their advisors final grade reports each term.

The University holds each student to be finally responsible for being fully informed about the graduation requirements for his or her own degree program and for arranging academic schedules to meet graduation requirements on the timetable the student establishes. Faculty advisors will do all they can through the advising processes to assist students in meeting their educational goals.


Academic Bankruptcy Policy

To declare "Academic Bankruptcy" a student must petition the Extended Studies Committee (undergraduate petitions) or the Graduate Studies Committee (graduate petitions) specifying the courses the student requests to be dropped. Only courses with grades of "D" and "F" may be dropped. Only courses taken ten semesters (excluding summer sessions) or more before the student's application for readmission may be dropped. The petition for Academic Bankruptcy must be made within six months following the student's readmission. Only students who are readmitted to and currently attending the University may petition the Extended Studies Committee for Academic Bankruptcy. When the Committee approves a petition for Academic Bankruptcy, the original grades will be shown on the transcript but a notation will be made and these grades will not be included in the calculation of grade point averages, nor will they be included in the satisfaction of degree requirements.

Credit Hour Definition

The semester credit hour is the unit of measure for college-credit course work.  The Carnegie unit is generally the guideline used to determine credit hour worth, with one hour of credit equated to 750 minutes plus the final exam.  Additional hours may be required for laboratory, clinical, internships, practicums, and music performance courses in which additional instructional time is required to achieve learning objectives.

For distance learning courses (e.g., online and hybrid), the Carnegie unit is applicable in the sense that students meet  the same objectives as those delivered in traditional coursework; therefore, students are expected to spend comparable amounts of time in achieving these objectives.  However, because learning is difficult to quantify in terms of minutes and hours in online and hybrid courses, more emphasis is placed upon evidence of student learning.  In order to earn credit hours, students must meet stated learning outcomes at a satisfactory level.

Academic Load

Undergraduate Terms 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5

  • Ten (10) hours of academic credit is considered the normal load per term for undergraduate students registered in CGES terms EX1, EX2, EX3, EX4, or EX5.
  • No undergra­duate CGES student may register for more than 10 hours of academic credit per term EX1, EX2, EX3, EX4, or EX5 unless that student has a grade point average of 3.20 in the previous term and obtains written permission from the Dean of the University.
  • No CGES student may register for more than 12 hours in any single term (EX1, EX2, EX3, EX4, or EX5) under any circumstances.
  • No CGES student may exceed 21 hours in a "semester" or combination of terms.

Undergraduate Semesters (EXFA, EXSP, and EXSU)

  • Eighteen (18) hours of academic credit is considered the normal load per semester for undergraduate students registered in CGES semesters EXFA, EXSP, and EXSU.
  • No undergra­duate CGES student may register for more than 18 hours of academic credit per semester EXFA, EXSP, or EXSU unless that student has a grade point average of 3.20 in the previous semester and obtains written permission from the Dean of the University.

Graduate Semesters (GRFA, GRSP, and GRSU)

  • Six (6) hours of academic credit is considered the normal load per term for CGES graduate students registered in semesters GRFA, GRSP, or GRSU.
  • Graduate students may not register for more than nine (9) hours per semester GRFA, GRSP, or GRSU without written permission of the Dean of the University.
Class Attendance

Students may not be successful in college for many reasons, but the principle reasons for student failure are excessive absence from class and the lack of class preparation. The faculty and administration expect students to attend classes regularly and to establish adequate study patterns. Individual instructors establish their own attendance policies that are clearly stated in each course syllabus. The University reserves the right to withdraw any student from one or more classes or from the University for excessive absence. Students are responsible for any work missed as a result of absence. They should consult with each instructor to make satisfactory arrange­ments for academic work missed. This should be done in advance whenever possible. Absence from class does not constitute withdrawal from the class or from the College of Graduate and Extended Studies. Students who leave school without completing the withdrawal process forfeit their claim to honorable dismissal and will receive a grade of "F" for all courses in progress

Classification of Students

Students are classified by the Hours of credit achieved.

Freshman                    1-29 Hours

Sophomore                  30-59 Hours

Junior                           60-89 Hours

Senior                          90 or more Hours

Special Students are not matriculating for a degree but wish to enroll in specific courses. They may be full- or part-time and may or may not have a baccalaureate degree.

Part-Time Students have matriculated for a degree but in any given term are registered for fewer than six semester hours of credit.

CMU First Class (Dual Credit) Students are enrolled in college courses while concurrently enrolled in a high school program.

Graduate Students have received an undergraduate degree and are enrolled in a graduate program of study.


Courses, Grades, and Grade Point Averages

Courses and grades are given on a semester-hour basis. Normally, one semester hour of credit means one hour of instruction per week for a semester (15-16 hours of class instruction) plus two or more hours of study for each hour of instruction, but instructional time and credit hours may vary. Grade reports are issued to students at mid-term and following the end of each semester. Only final grades for courses are entered on the student's transcript. The transcript is the individual student's permanent academic record, maintained and secured by the Registrar's Office.

The University uses the system of grades, grade symbols, and quality points described below to report each student's academic achievement on grade reports and transcripts.


A             Grade Points         4

B              Grade Points        3

C              Grade Points        2

D             Grade Points         1

F              Grade Points         0

P              Pass, credit hours only

I               Incomplete

W            Withdrawal

AU           Audit, no credit hours

All courses taken on a letter grade basis (A through F) are used to compute Grade Point Averages (GPA). For grades in courses repeated, see below. A student's GPA is calculated by dividing the number of grade points earned by the number of credit hours attempted on a letter grade basis. As a result, GPAs range from 0 to 4.0. Courses taken on a Pass/Fail (P/F) basis are not computed in the student's GPA. Few courses are offered on a P/F grade basis. The grades of "I," "W," and "AU" earn no credit and are not computed in GPA.

The grade of "I"(Incomplete) can be given by an instructor at the end of the term only when both of the following conditions are met: (1) the student is unable to finish the work of a course because of exceptional circumstances which can be documented, and (2) the student has completed at least three-fourths of the coursework and can complete the remaining work apart from class meetings. Faculty should file a plan for completion of incomplete work with the Registrar. All incomplete work must be completed by mid-term of the following term. After this time, if the "I" has not been removed, it will automatically convert to a grade of "F." Additional work will no longer be accepted, and the grade appeals policy (see page 36) will apply.

A student may withdraw from a class with a grade of "W" until the last week of classes for the term as defined by the Academic Calendar. The grade of "W" will not be calculated into the student's GPA. A student may not withdraw from a class after this date.

The grade of "AU" is given to students who formally register as "auditors." Auditors must have the approval of the instructor prior to registering and are expected to attend regularly. They receive no credit, and no grade is given, but the hours are included in determining a student's academic load. Upon the report from the professor that an audit has been satisfactorily completed, notation of the audit is made on a permanent record. Special or part-time students pay normal tuition rates to audit courses.

Grade Appeals

Students have the right to appeal a grade. All student appeals must be initiated, in writing, within one calendar year of the date the grade is first posted. In all steps of that appeal, the faculty member must be consulted and the burden of proof is on the student. Students should first make every effort to resolve grade issues with the course instructor. This is the most likely avenue to produce satisfactory results.

If the issue is not resolved with the course instructor, the student should next appeal to the regional site coordinator.   In these appeals, the course instructor will be consulted and the grade cannot be changed without the instructor's consent.

If the issue is still not resolved and if the student wishes to continue the appeal, the student should consult the regional site coordinator for directions in presenting a petition to the Extended Studies Committee (undergraduate petitions) or the Graduate Studies Committee (graduate petitions). The course instructor will be consulted in advance, notified of any hearings, and permitted to be present at the hearing. If a two-thirds majority of the respective committee judges that a grade change is warranted, the committee will direct the Registrar to make the change. The decision of this committee is final and binding on all parties. (Faculty-initiated grade change requests must be completed and filed with the Office of the Registrar within one calendar year of the date the grade is first posted).

Students who wish to file an academic grievance not involving a grade appeal should contact the instructor (if appropriate), followed by the Regional Site Coordinator (if necessary), and if a resolution has not been reached, the Office of the Vice President and Dean of the University (660-248-6211).

Repeated Courses

Students may repeat any course in which they received a grade of A, B, C or D one time and receive financial aid for the course.  If the course was taken as dual credit the student may repeat it twice while receiving financial aid because they did not receive financial aid for taking it in high school.  If a student receives a grade of F in a course, the student may repeat that course as often as necessary to achieve a passing grade.  The most recent grade earned will be counted in the student's grade point average. All registrations and grades will be entered on the permanent record, but a notation that the course has been repeated will be added to previous enrollments in the course.

Course Numbering System

Courses numbered 100-299 are designed primarily for Freshmen and Sophomores. Courses numbered 300-499 are for Juniors and Seniors.

Catalog in Effect - Graduation Requirements

Students' degree requirements are generally governed by the catalog in effect when they matriculate for a degree so long as enrollment is continuous. Students may choose to meet the requirements of any subsequent catalog published during their enrollment but not of an earlier catalog. Former students who are readmitted must meet the graduation requirements in the catalog at the time of re-enrollment.

Generally, students need to have earned at least 124 credit hours with a cumulative GPA of 2.0 to graduate. Some programs have other requirements, so students should check with their advisors and with division chairs.


Students must register on the days and at the times designated by the Dean of the University. They should register only after a conference with their advisor. Deadlines for registration and changes in registration are published on the Academic Calendar.

Changes in classes or class sections may be made at no charge during the first week of classes by completing a Change of Course Form from the regional site coordinator. After the first week of classes, courses may not be added. Any exceptions require written permission from the course instructor and the regional site coordinator. Courses may be dropped at any time prior to one week before the last day of classes for the term. Students are urged to remember that the grade of "F" will be recorded on their transcripts for every course that is not completed but not officially dropped. Courses are not officially dropped until the Change of Course Form has been filed in the Office of the Registrar.

Changes in Registration

Changes in classes or class sections may be made only before the deadlines published in the academic calendar by completing a Change of Course Form obtained from the regional site coordinator. Any exceptions require written permission from the course instructor or the dean. Courses may be dropped at anytime during the term prior to final exam week. Students are urged to remember that the grade of "F" will be recorded on their transcripts for every course that is not completed but not officially dropped. Courses are not officially dropped until the Change of Course Form has been filed in the Registrar's Office.

Course instructors may request that any student be administratively dropped from a course for academic misconduct, excessive absence, or disruptive or other unacceptable classroom behavior. With the approval of the Dean of the University, the student will be withdrawn from the class. No charge will be assessed for these changes.

Enrollment in CGES/Online Courses

College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (CLAS) students requesting permission to enroll in online or statewide courses during the Fall or Spring semesters must meet one of the following eligibility criteria:

  • Through no fault of his/her own, the student must enroll in a specific course to graduate and said course is not available before graduation in CLAS. (If a student postpones taking said course until his/her Senior year that could have been taken earlier, the student may not qualify for enrollment under this criterion.)
  • The student will benefit educationally by taking a course and is recommended by his/her advisor, has approval of the Dean, and agrees to pay all tuition/fees required to take the course above regular CLAS tuition and fees.