Elementary Education Degree Program
Do you want to play a vital role in shaping the future through the education of children? The Elementary Education major at CMU is exactly what you’re looking for. Our students’ experiences prepare them for what they can expect as a teacher in an elementary school setting, and instill the vital skills employers seek.
About our Elementary Education Program
The Elementary Education major focuses around teaching methods, the development of children, and elementary concentrations such as Mathematics, Reading and Writing, Children’s Literature, Creative Arts, Physical Education, and more. Our program is accredited through the Higher Learning Commission and the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education. It provides a balance of in-class studies and hands-on experiences designed to transform our students into real-world professionals.
As a CMU Elementary Education major, you will have opportunities to:
- build an in-demand skill set while taking classes such as Education as a Profession, Child Development, Reading Assessment and Instruction, and Psychology of the Exceptional Child
- develop workplace skills that allow you to naturally analyze information, answer questions, communicate effectively, develop ideas, hold an audience’s attention, and encourage others to grow and learn
- participate in hands-on learning through projects, observational and field experiences, and internships
- become a candidate for employment who is highly desired for your creativity, leadership skills, and teaching abilities
- receive the preparation needed to earn an advanced degree
Other CMU Education Degrees
- Child Development
- Early Childhood Education
- Educational Studies
- Physical Education
- Middle School Education
- Secondary Education
- Special Education
- Master of Education
Admission Requirements for Elementary Education Majors
Admission to CMU is selective. Our admission staff carefully reviews and evaluates each application on an individual basis. Please review all requirements prior to applying for admission.
After being accepted to CMU, students wishing to pursue a degree in Education must meet the additional requirements for full acceptance into the program.