Inscape Submission Deadlines and Guidelines
Arts Competition Deadline: Fri., March 7, 2014
Submission Deadline: Fri., March 21, 2014
Arts competition awards: All submissions received by the competition deadline date will be eligible for one or more of the following:
- Kilgore Trout Award for Fiction
- Thomas F. Dillingham Award for Non-fiction Prose
- Gordon Hadfield Award for Poetry
- William L. Spencer Memorial Award for Foreign-Language Poetry
- Byrd Cooper Kirby Award (for the artwork selected for the front cover)
- Elizabeth Stapleton Award in Art Education (for photography and other non-writing creative arts media)
Missed the competition deadline? We will accept submissions for publication until 2:00 p.m. on Fri., March 21, 2014, but materials submitted after the March 7 deadline will not be considered for the Arts Competitions.
All poetry, fiction, and/or nonfiction submissions must be formatted electronically as either .doc, .docx, or .pdf files.
Send submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
All submission emails (be they poetry, fiction, nonfiction, photography, artwork, or some combination of these genres) should include the following:
- Current CMU status (student, faculty, staff)
- Off-campus mailing address
- CMU major
- Local phone
- CMU e-mail
- Short biography
- Genre of submission (poetry, fiction, nonfiction, photo, artwork)
- Title of submission(s).
- If you submit multiple works in a single genre, list all titles directly under the genre.
- If you submit works of different genres, make a separate "genre" and "titles" list
for each genre of your submission.
- Each person may submit up to 10 pieces total. Of those 10 pieces only 5 photos will be accepted and only 5 poems.
- If submitting a poetry translation, also submit a copy of that original published poem. What is a "poetry translation?" For the purposes of this publication, we accept as "poetry translation" any original translation-by a CMU student, staff member, or faculty member-of a poem that was (a) published in a language other than English and (b) published other than in Inscape.
- Poetry, fiction, and/or nonfiction submission emails should include a single attached
document containing all the written submissions.
- The attached document should begin with a cover page that includes all the information listed in the text of the email. Your name should not appear on any subsequent page. Subsequent pages should be numbered. All works should be preceded by a title.
- Photography and/or artwork submission emails should include separate attachments for
- If the total size of your photo/artwork submission exceeds 2MB, then you should NOT submit electronically. Instead, hand-deliver a Windows-formatted CD to 430 Cupples Hall.
- Digital photographs should be saved in the highest possible resolution at the size of 5x7 (for vertical images) or 7x5 (horizontal). If we have to resize the image, then we will not lose resolution.