Inscape, CMU's Magazine of the Arts, is taking yearly submissions of poetry, prose (fiction and nonfiction), photographs, and artwork for each issue, published annually in the spring. In its 30+ years, Inscape has provided a creative venue for the poetry, prose, and artwork of students, faculty, and staff.
Founded in 1975, Inscape is the brainchild of CMU's Tau Tau Tau honorary fraternity, Mu Lambda chapter of Sigma Tau Delta (the international English Honor Society), and the mythic Scribblers and Scrawlers. Inscape is funded by CMU's Student Government Association
Arts Competition Deadline: TBA
Arts competition awards: All submissions received by the submission date will be eligible for one or more of the following:
- Kilgore Trout Award for Fiction
- Thomas F. Dillingham Award for Non-fiction Prose
- Gordon Hadfield Award for Poetry
- William L. Spencer Memorial Award for Foreign-Language Poetry
- Byrd Cooper Kirby Award (for the artwork selected for the Spring 2012 front cover)
- Elizabeth Stapleton Award in Art Education (for photography and other non-writing creative arts media)
Missed the deadline? We will accept submissions until 2:00 p.m. on Wed., March 21, 2012, but materials submitted after the March 9 deadline will not be considered for the Arts Competitions.
Contest Deadline: TBA
All poetry, fiction, and/or nonfiction submissions must be formatted electronically as either .doc, .docx, or .pdf files.
Send submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
All submission emails (be they poetry, fiction, nonfiction, photography, artwork, or some combination of these genres) should include the following:
- Current CMU status (student, faculty, staff)
- Off-campus mailing address
- CMU major
- Local phone
- CMU e-mail
- Short biography
- Genre of submission (poetry, fiction, nonfiction, photo, artwork)
- Title of submission(s).
- If you submit multiple works in a single genre, list all titles directly under the genre.
- If you submit works of different genres, make a
separate "genre" and "titles" list for each genre of
- Do not submit more than 5 poems, 2 works of fiction, 2 works of nonfiction, or 5 photos.
- If submitting a poetry translation, also submit a copy of that original published poem. What is a "poetry translation?" For the purposes of this publication, we accept as "poetry translation" any original translation-by a CMU student, staff member, or faculty member-of a poem that was (a) published in a language other than English and (b) published other than in Inscape.
- Poetry, fiction, and/or nonfiction submission emails
should include a single attached document containing all the
- The attached document should begin with a cover page that includes all the information listed in the text of the email. Your name should not appear on any subsequent page. Subsequent pages should be numbered. All works should be preceded by a title.
- Photography and/or artwork submission emails should
include separate attachments for each photo/artwork.
- If the total size of your photo/artwork submission exceeds 2MB, then you should NOT submit electronically. Instead, hand-deliver a Windows-formatted CD to 430 Cupples Hall.
- Digital photographs should be saved in the highest possible resolution at the size of 5x7 (for vertical images) or 7x5 (horizontal). If we have to resize the image, then we will not lose resolution.